An engaging story magnetizes everyone!
Listening to stories plays a major role in our life, as it makes a mark on our minds to perform the following actions. And if we observe from the very beginning, the art of storytelling has been adapted in our society to give any message or convey something. Moreover, it can be clearly observed that storytelling compels us to start imagining the unreal world that takes us to some other state. Story telling in video games is a complex process where multiple instances occur in the game to depict a story that captivates the player who is engaged in the story as the protagonist.
Playing games with full enthusiasm along with the background narration upheave the players’ zest to a greater extent such as the God of War Series, Red Dead Redemption Series, Witcher Series, World of Warcraft, Life is Strange: True Colors, Marvel’s Guardians of the Galaxy, etc. By the same token, we can see that narration in video games helps players to understand the story and get an immersive experience. There are many more things you would enjoy learning about storytelling in video games, so let’s take a ride this way.
What exactly storytelling stands for in the gaming area?
We have often seen that games with a good storyline always grasp maximum attention and fame in the market as people get attracted to these striking up their thrill. More to this, first of all, we need to know a little about the storytelling games that these are the games where many players can interact and cooperate with each other and build an impulsive story.
At the high point, players feel pretty engaged and entertained while playing such appealing games that steal all their focus and compel them to spend long hours. These days, Virtual Reality games, Open World games, RPG games, and others are embracing this storytelling technology to make the gaming audience super delighted and engrossed, enhancing the gameplay experience.
To understand better, let’s draw your eyes to the importance of storytelling in video games. As we have discussed above that, storytelling in the gaming industry plays a notable role in making the game more captivating and appealing. But it’s not that much easier thing as it sounds. Storytelling is indeed a complex task to perform, as it requires some core elements like gameplay, visual effects and designs, and narration. The story must relate to the game mechanics so that it can appear like the real world.
However, there are two kinds of storytelling present in video games one is explicit, where the dialogues or written text will help in defining the story, and the other is implicit, where the level-design or non-playable characters’ actions state some story about the game. It is important to note that whatever story you are building for your game should be matched with the game characters and gameplay so that the player can make an emotional link with that and come again and again to play it. Moreover, there are three types of narrative that you can use in video games accordingly, so let’s have a closer look at them below;
- Linear storytelling: In this type of storytelling, the player is set to follow a specific path thus, there is not so much effect on the story due to the action of players. It is the most traditional type of storytelling. This is suitable for story-driven games like “God of War.”
- Non-linear storytelling: This type of storytelling includes the non-specific order of the player, and thus any of the players’ actions will impact the story. Games like “Paradise Lost” come under this category.
- Emergent storytelling: This is the most creative type of storytelling that rise up from the gameplay. Players’ actions can build any kind of story or unpredictable story that has no link to the game’s narrative. Games like Minecraft and The Mass Effect can be the fit example for this storytelling type.
The above-discussed types of storytelling are quite informative and knowledgeable that ensure how we can add the story to the video games while playing.
Enumerate the benefit of storytelling apart from entertainment
Already we have talked enough about the role of storytelling in video games regarding players’ enjoyment and engagement. Still, there is something to discuss about storytelling tech in video games apart from entertainment. And now, it’s time to draw attention to the benefits of storytelling which are as follows;
- Creative thinking: The creativity skills of players comes out which are hidden inside them in the form of story
- Problem-solving: The players can acquire good problem-solving skills while playing storytelling games. It will help them to generate reasoning potential.
- Social connection building: More to the entertainment, with the help of these storytelling games, players get the chance to interact with the community and integrate social connections.
Undoubtedly, these benefits of storytelling games thrive the good habit in players and give them immense enjoyment and fun to create something innovative.
The gaming world today is upgrading its technology day by day, and this time we are here with our new trend, i.e., storytelling in video games that enhance the players’ gaming experience to a higher level and immerse them in game for a longer time. So building a creative and story-based game will benefit the audience in many ways.
Aavega Interactive is a glaring future of the gaming world with its outstanding services embracing game development, game art, and game QA to elevate our user experience.